Complete all data fields on the online application. Please submit your application only when it represents your best effort. If you have not taken the GMAT or GRE yet, please note your future scheduled test date in your application. Please do complete the TOEFL, PTE Academic or IELTS, if required, prior to submitting your application. If you have already taken your required tests and sent your score reports to Vanderbilt, your scores will automatically be verified by Vanderbilt. Because we rely on the accuracy of self-reported test scores, it is not necessary to provide an official score report when you apply. You will be required to have the official test score sent to Vanderbilt University only if you accept an offer of admission. It is your responsibility to notify us of any scheduled retake or future date for test taking, so we can know when to expect updated scores. For international educational requirements, click here.
- We require a separate unofficial transcript from every college or university you are attending or have attended.
- If you are offered admission, you will be required to provide official transcripts from each institution you have attended.
- If you have not graduated, and your conferred degree will be issued later, please wait to order a copy of your official transcript. Official transcripts must reflect the date that the degree was conferred and the degree awarded.
- If you cannot calculate your cumulative GPA or convert it to a four-point scale, leave the field blank. We will evaluate your academic record accordingly.
- International degrees will have specific requirements required by Vanderbilt's University Registrar at the time of enrollment to verify the student’s degree. Please review the documents that will be required prior to beginning classes at Owen Graduate School of Management.
Transcripts can be sent either via the postal service or via secure electronic delivery. In order to be considered official, transcripts and other documents must come directly from the institution attended. Some institutions provide secure electronic delivery of transcripts. These submissions may be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transcripts sent via the postal service should be addressed as follows:
2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37240-7833
GMAT or GRE Scores
- All applicants must take the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- If you last took the test more than five years prior to submitting your application, you must take it again.
- We review your overall highest test score. Some of our candidates take the test more than once to obtain a higher score. We value this commitment.
- Please list Vanderbilt University as a recipient of your GMAT or GRE score on test day.
Because we rely on the accuracy of self-reported test scores, it is not necessary to provide an official score report when you apply. You will be required to have the official test scores sent to Vanderbilt University only if you accept an offer of admission.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores for International Students
- In most cases, international applicants are required to take the TOEFL. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) will be waived only for candidates who have earned a university degree in an English-speaking country—not just at an English-speaking institution—or those who have lived and worked in an English-speaking country for the past two or more years.
- We will also accept the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) in lieu of the TOEFL.
- If your test date is two years or more prior to your application submission date, you must take it again.
- You must take the TOEFL or IELTS before submitting your application so that you can record the scores in the application.
- Because we rely on the accuracy of self-reported test scores, you are not required to provide an official TOEFL or IELTS score report at the time of application. Only if you are offered and accept admission will you be required to have ETS send official test scores to the Admissions Office.
- You should not submit an application until you are satisfied with your test results, as we prefer not to hold applications while waiting for new scores.
Our institution code is 1871 for the IELTS and TOEFL. When choosing the department, please proceed as follows to ensure your scores are reported to Vanderbilt. Please select “Graduate,” not "Undergraduate," as the type of test you are taking. A drop-down menu will then ask you to choose the “Department.” Choose the last option in the drop-down menu and click on “Any Department Not Listed.”
You can contact ETS with questions about the TOEFL here, or by calling 609-771-7100, Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, ET.
To contact IELTS email email@example.com.
- Your essay gives us great insight into your personality and your other unique qualities.
- You are typically asked to explain your short-term (post-MS Finance) and long-term career plans as specifically as possible. Log into the application to see the specific questions you are to address in this year's application.
- Essay should not exceed 500 words.
- The video essay will allow you to demonstrate your communication skills and show your personality.
- You will be asked a question and will have multiple practice runs before you record your answer.
- The video essay is short (under 2 minutes) and is another data point for the admissions committee to learn about you.
- Your recommenders can submit your recommendations securely online to us
- We require two recommendations from individuals who can evaluate your personal qualities, ability to succeed in a top MS Finance program and potential for success in management and leadership roles
- Instructions will be included in an email sent to each recommender after you enter the person's contact information in the Recommender section.
- Acceptable recommenders include current and former employers or managers, current or former professors, and clients and individuals with whom you have worked regularly as long as they can provide a meaningful evaluation in a professional context.
Please upload a current professional résumé that highlights your educational background, any work or internship experience, activities, interests and hobbies that are significant to you. Your résumé should be in a format that you would present to a prospective employer.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified via email when your interview needs to be scheduled. Interviews may be conducted via Skype or in person—additional details will be provided to you via email. In some instances, a second interview is required. You will be contacted via email to schedule this appointment. You may anticipate needing to conduct an interview from 3 days to 4 weeks after a given application deadline. Skype interviews are offered only after an application has been submitted and given initial review.
Group MS Finance campus visit days, occurring throughout the year, are by invitation only. These visit days allow you to attend class, have lunch with current students and request to be considered for an interview with a member of the MS Finance Admissions Committee. Visitors will also learn about the Career Management Center and Leadership Development Program. To be considered for a formal campus visit and interview, apply early!
APPLICATION FEE: There is a $100 application fee for the MS Finance program.
DEFERRED ADMISSION AND REAPPLICATION: The MS Finance program may offer deferred admission on a case-by-case basis. If admitted to the program in a year in which you choose not to enroll, you must request approval for a deferral. Financial aid is not guaranteed from one year to the next. If you are reapplying, please use your same log-in credentials you previously used. Some of your previous application data may transfer to your new application.
MAILING SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS: We recommend that you keep copies of everything you submit to Vanderbilt for the duration of the application process. Please mail any supplemental application materials not submitted electronically to:
Center for Data Management - OWEN
PMB 407833, 2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37240-7833
APPLICATION STATUS: You can check your status at any time by logging into your Application Status page, keeping in mind it may take a short time to process applications.
ADMISSIONS DECISIONS: We will notify you of your admissions decision within four weeks of receiving your completed application. Applications are not complete until your interview is conducted. All decisions of the Admissions Committee are final and applicants will be considered for admission only once in any given academic year. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to deny any applicant, rescind any offer of admission, or dismiss any enrolled student if any part of the application is inaccurate, misrepresented, falsified or otherwise untrue.