Complete all data fields on the online application. Please submit your application only when it represents your best effort, and only after everything is complete. Take the GMAT or GRE and TOEFL, PTE Academic or IELTS, if required, before submitting your application, so that you can include your scores. If you have already taken your required tests and sent your score reports to Vanderbilt, your scores will automatically be verified by Vanderbilt. Submitting an incomplete application may significantly delay the processing and review of your file. It is your responsibility to notify us of any scheduled retake or future date for test taking, so we can know when to expect updated scores.
- We require a separate unofficial transcript from every college or university you are attending or have attended.
- Official transcripts are required from each institution only if you accept an offer of admission.
- If you have not graduated, and your conferred degree will be issued later, please wait to order a copy of your official transcript. Official transcripts must reflect the date that the degree was conferred and the degree awarded.
- If you cannot calculate your cumulative GPA or convert it to a four-point scale, leave the field blank. We will evaluate your academic record accordingly.
Transcripts may be mailed to:
Center for Data Management-OWEN
PMB 407833, 2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37240-7833
GMAT or GRE Scores
- All applicants must take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- If you last took the test more than five years prior to submitting your application, you must take it again.
- We review your overall highest test score. Some of our candidates take the test more than once to obtain a higher score. We value this commitment.
- Please list Vanderbilt University as a recipient of your score on test day.
Because we rely on the accuracy of self-reported test scores, it is not necessary to provide an official score report when you apply. You will be required to have the official test scores sent to Vanderbilt University only if you accept an offer of admission.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students Only)
- In most cases, international applicants are required to take the TOEFL. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) will be waived only for candidates who have earned a university degree in an English-speaking country—not just at an English-speaking institution—or those who have lived and worked in an English-speaking country for the past two or more years.
- We will also accept the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) in lieu of the TOEFL.
- If you last took the test more than two years prior to the date of application, you must take it again because results are valid only two years.
- You must take the TOEFL or IELTS before submitting your application so that you can record the scores in the application.
- Because we rely on the accuracy of self-reported test scores, you are not required to provide an official TOEFL or IELTS score report at the time of application. Only if you are offered and accept admission will you be required to have ETS send official test scores to the Admissions Office.
- You should not submit an application until you are satisfied with your test results, as we prefer not to hold applications while waiting for new scores.
Vanderbilt’s institution code is 1871. When registering for the TOEFL or the IELTS, you must also specify departmental code 02.
- Your two essays give us great insight into your thinking, communication style, personality and other unique qualities.
- Be prepared to explain your short-term (post-graduation) and long-term career plans as specifically as possible and to demonstrate your creativity. Log into the application to see specific questions for the current application round.
- Each essay is limited to no more than 500 words or a single page.
- Your two recommenders can submit references securely online as part of your application materials.
- Instructions will be included in an email sent to each recommender after you enter the person's contact information in the Recommender section. Be sure to alert your recommenders to look for an email from Vanderbilt.
- Acceptable recommenders include a current or former professor who knows you well and a current or former employer or business professional who has relied on your work.
Please upload a current professional résumé that highlights your educational background, any work or internship experience, activities, interests and hobbies that are significant to you. Your résumé should be in a format that you would present to a prospective employer.
Based on application screening, candidates may be invited to continue the application process with an in-person or Skype interview. Interview invitations are sent via email with instructions on how to schedule an interview convenient to you.
Your application is considered complete and ready when we receive your online application, the above documents (at least a scheduled GMAT or GRE test date) and application fee. Although still required before any offer of admission is given, the evaluative interview and any other supplemental items are not required for the Admissions Committee to deny or waitlist an applicant at any stage.
Click here to check the status of your completed application.
APPLICATION FEE: There is a $75 application fee for the Master of Marketing program.
DEFERRED ADMISSION AND REAPPLICATION: The Master of Marketing program may offer deferred admission on a case-by-case basis. If admitted to the program in a year in which you choose not to enroll, you must request approval for a deferral. Financial aid is not guaranteed from one year to the next. If you are reapplying, please use the same log-in credentials you previously used. Some of your previous application data will transfer into your new application.
MAILING SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS: We recommend that you keep copies of everything you submit to Vanderbilt for the duration of the application process. Please mail any supplemental application materials not submitted electronically to:
Center for Data Management - OWEN
PMB 407833, 2301 Vanderbilt Place
Nashville, TN 37240-7833
APPLICATION STATUS: You can check your status at any time by logging into your Application Status page, keeping in mind it may take a short time to process applications.
ADMISSION DECISIONS: Complete applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates may be invited to continue the application process with an in-person or Skype interview. If you are chosen for an evaluative interview, you will receive an invitation via email. The evaluative interview and any other supplemental items are not required for the Admissions Committee to deny or waitlist an applicant at any stage. You will receive an email to notify you that a decision has been made. In general, we will notify you within four weeks of receiving your application. All decisions of the Admissions Committee are final, and applicants will be considered for admission only once in any given academic year.